Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kingergarten Woes


So my little guy started kindergarten this year. I can hardly believe it. It was a sad day for mom and has continued to be a struggle. My happiness revolves around the position of Nathan's fish in the sea and whether or not he gets a "sad bear" in his backpack. "Sad bear" is not so "sad" as he is "mad" bear. I guess sad just sounds nicer. I took him off sugar, atleast in the morning and in his lunch box, checked out a slew of books about discipline and child rearing, spent a lot of time on my knees and in the bathroom literally sick. He started saying things like "I wish it could just be like it used to be when I could just stay home and snuggle you."

Well, I had my first parent-teacher conference this week. I was fully prepared to be told that my child was the worst case she had ever seen and that he was a lost cause. Instead she was very positive! She said that Nathan was improving daily. She could tell that we had been working with him a lot at home and that he was very motivated to do well which is a good sign. When I told her of all the things I had done already to recitfy the situation she looked a little shocked. First time parent stuff maybe, but I think I way overreacted. She said she was most pleased with Nathan's honesty. Anyone who knows him knows this is his trademark. According to his teacher when he got in trouble last week for throwing carrots in the lunchroom and she called him over to talk to him about it he said "well you know, it's actually not the first time I've done that." Can't fault the guy for being honest I guess.

So, for now, we are optimistic about his kindergarten future. How many more years of this do we have to go through? If I wasn't absolutley positive that I would do the most terrible job ever I would home school him. Although I don't think a vast knowledge of blogging and facebook would help him out much!

1 comment:

julie said...

cute picture, cute boy. You are doing a great job!